TRANSFORMING the ACF-Atlanta Chefs Association
Our Mission ...
To promote the professional development of culinarians.
The ACF-Atlanta Chefs Association continues to enjoy growth and prosperity as many other membership organizations continually search for ways to survive. The struggle to stay member responsive and industry relevant is a constant challenge. I am occasionally reminded of the good ‘ole days and how things used to be. Although, I love hearing good stories and how great things were back in the day, realistically, the stories are just a good piece of history without much insight on meeting today’s demands and future challenges. The world we live in, and the business environment we operate within have drastically changed. As with any business, the ACF-ACA must continue to strategically evolve to meet the changing wants, needs, desires, and expectations of current and future members as well as the food service industry. In June, the Board of Directors and I adopted a new Mission and Vision for the ACF-Atlanta Chefs Association along with 5-Year Strategic Plan to guide our bold, new future. This organization has been Incorporated since 1967, but operated many, many years prior to that. Our Strategic Plan will help ensure the Atlanta Chefs Association legacy for the generations of culinarians to come.
A BIG THANK YOU to all the members that responded to our membership survey. More than 1/3 of our membership participated and responded to the survey (national average for member survey response is 20%-26%). Additionally, we are currently in the process of surveying past members (those that made a choice not to renew). We anticipate this survey to be completed by the end of the month.
I am excited to announce some changes that are already in place or that will be coming soon. These changes include:
• Senior Professional Culinarian annual dues rate is set at $65 (includes ACF National & Chapter membership fees).
• The ACF added Certified Fundamentals Cook (CFC) and Certified Fundamentals Pastry Cook (CFPC) as beginning level professional certifications for individuals with no industry experience, ACFEF Certified Secondary Culinary Program graduates, and work-rehabilitation program completers. Officially recognized by US Department of Labor.
• The ACF-ACA and the UCCA have formed a joint venture. The former UCCA Christmas Party is now the Chef’s Annual Christmas Party. The date is set for Friday, December 1, 2017 at the GA Tech Hotel and Conference Center. Tickets price has been established at $125 per person. Receive an early bird discount if you purchase before November 1, 2017 – price is $90.00 per person. We will also have a discounted room rate available. Tickets on sale soon.
• The Annual President’s Gala/Awards Night normally held in February is being incorporated into the Chefs Annual Christmas Party. Chapter Awards will be given during the Christmas Party.
• Proposed Chapter Bylaw Amendments are under review and consideration by the Board of Directors with a proclamation expected at the General Member meeting on Monday, August 28, 2017. Significant Bylaw proposals include:
- o Updating for compliance with current Federal, state, and local non-profit laws, regulations, and policies and procedures.
o Streamlined to reflect best practices in non-profit business and governance.
o Revised Corporate membership level rights and privileges for participation in Corporate electoral proceedings and eligibility for elected office and committee selection.
o Revised individual eligibility requirements to be nominated as a Board of Director or Corporate Officer.
o Revised term limits for elected office.
o Added provision for establishing satellite operations in other geographical areas within the State of Georgia.
I ask that you help continue Our New Mission. Get involved and participate in one of the upcoming events. Join us on Facebook, Instagram, and/or Twitter. Send our newsletter to interested friends and colleagues AND bring them along to our next event. I know we all have busy lives and high demands on our time. This is your organization ... get involved ... be active, participate, AND HAVE FUN!!!
Our Vision ...
We welcome and support all culinarians to achieve their dreams in the food and beverage industry.
Kully Crean, CEC®, CCE®, MBA
ACF - Atlanta Chefs Association, Inc.